Saturday, May 20, 2006

My IIT and the IIM

The other day the MD of my desk introduced me as a graduate of IIT and not as an IIM student. I was vaguely pleased. Since then, I have confirmed my hypothesis that there is more awareness about the IITs than about the IIMs. ( This one gentleman on the trading floor, upon being informed that I am from an IIT commented "The one that is better than the MIT!!" Anyway, as I said, I am vaguely and childishly pleased whenever the superiority of the IIT brand over the IIM brand is affirmed. And this has made me wonder why ? Perhaps, because IIT was the result of a youthful dream of "being someone" and not of the mercenary motivation of "being rich" , perhaps because IIT gave me my first identity, perhaps because IIT is where I met some of the most intelligent kids I have met (and I cannot say the same of the IIM). I do not know why but IIT has become a part of me while I look at IIMB from the outside as a detached observer. Perhaps, IIT has the lifelong charm that one's first love has for one. Or, perhaps, I resent the hype that the coverage that the IIMs attract becaus of their placements . It is like IIT Kharagpur is my poor, unsung family and IIM Bangalore the rich family that "I have adopted".I sincerely hope that by the time I pass out I start loving IIM Bangalore more. For I sincerely believe that It has give me much - as much, if not more, than IIT Kharagpur.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I met some of the most intelligent kids I have met (and I cannot say the same of the IIM)"
ha ha! well there are ppl even from IIT who are not the most intelligent

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i beg to differ with the above comment. Being an IITian, i can honestly say that there is a difference between IITs and the normal eng colleges(and no this isn't an ego thing). And yes, I think IIT(Bombay) has given me the best years of my life...

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A stanza unrelated to the post. Read it at another blog. Thought you'd like it .. here u go..

"you fight your way out of that thick social marshland and grit your teeth in the agony of rebellion..you refuse to align, kicking and damning the invisible frameworks that claim you. but the bog that it is, it will bog you down..chewing you till your granules dissolve and you become agreeable slush, till the current of mainstream smoothens your jagged edges into faceless, rounded pebbles..everyone revels in the death of a rebel."

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.